I’m not generally someone who asks questions that evoke negative responses, although it’s been known to happen on occasion … But this isn’t one of those times.
The question I’m thinking of is this, “What have you got to lose?”
When someone asks you, “What have you got to lose?” it’s usually a follow up to a challenge you’re facing. For example:
– You’re thinking of moving 1,500 miles away and will no longer be physically close to your friends and family… so what have you got to lose?
– You have a sense it’s time to quit your regular job and start a business on your own… so what have you got to lose?
– There’s a little voice inside telling you to reveal a closely held secret that you think people will be shocked to hear about you… so what have you got to lose?
The truth is that when we ask ourselves a “What have you got to lose?” question, we’re really asking ourselves to look at what is the worst thing that can happen. And if your mind works anything like mine used to, it’s really proficient at evoking a hundred and one scenarios and outcomes of how badly things could turn out. Things like..
– I could lose my friends.
– I could lose the connection with my family.
– I might be lonely.
– I could lose the security of a weekly paycheck.
– People may think I’ve lost my marbles.
– It might be harder than I thought to get new clients.
– People won’t like me anymore.
– Some people will think I’m crazy, or that I’m lying.
– I might appear too vulnerable or weak.
Yes, the voice in our heads can drive us very quickly and neatly into a downward spiral of negativity that can stop us from trying anything new or making significant changes.
And why would the mind do this?
Because we’ve been trained to protect ourselves and build up walls against the negative and potential hazards that could come our way if we make a change.
The mind likes to keep us in the comfort zone – otherwise known as the **what we already know is safe and secure, even if it’s not so great or exciting or fulfilling** zone.
Of course, you can change the wiring of your brain when you ask yourself the same questions, and the answers could look more like this…
WHAT HAVE YOU GOT TO LOSE?
– I could lose my fear of trying new things.
– I could lose the hold my family has on me.
– I could lose the habitual and boring lifestyle I feel tied into.
– I could lose the rut I dug myself into these past years.
– I could lose the overbearing boss and the strict schedule.
– I could lose the ceiling on my salary.
– I could lose the daily grind that doesn’t serve my life purpose.
– I could lose the repressive fear of being found out.
– I could lose the shame and guilt I’ve been harboring.
– I could lose the ties that are binding me to my past.
CAN YOU IMAGINE LOSING ALL OF THIS?
Wouldn’t it feel wonderful to reframe what you LOSE as looking at the positive and light side of letting go – Imagine losing once and for all everything that’s been holding you back.
And if you’re even more daring, you can look beyond what you’ve got to LOSE to what you’ve got to GAIN. Things like…
– I will gain a new outlook on fresh starts.
– I will feel free, light and unbound.
– I will create new, empowering and fun habits and pastimes.
– I will venture out and make new friends who expand my horizons.
– I will create my own flexible schedule.
– I will decide what my time, energy and knowledge are worth.
– I will finally have true freedom – in every aspect of my life.
– I will be able to openly discuss my past without fear or reservation.
– People will see me as a positive role model for grace through change or adversity.
– People may still think I’m crazy, but they’ll also see what may be possible for them through the example I set in following my own true path.
ARE YOU READY TO GAIN IT ALL? … You can!
But first you have to be willing to lose it all.
So what have you got to lose?
Now that’s Powerful!
With much love and gratitude for you,
ARE YOU READY TO LOSE YOURSELF … for the healing and betterment of yourself and others?
Are you ready to let others know the PERSONAL POWER you gained when you travelled your own hero’s journey?
DO YOU FEEL A CALLING to show up in a bigger way, so you will impact and empower others?
If your answer to any of these is YES, then NOW is the time for you to tell your story as a published author.
You’ll make a positive contribution to humanity and reach more people by connecting with them through your story in a broadly distributed anthology book.
YES – YOU can make a difference in the lives of others.
In fact you already do…
Your only choice is to decide how many you will reach.
**Get details about sharing your story at: www.powerfulyoupublishing.com
WE ARE READY to broadly spread your story – ARE YOU READY?
Want to use this article? You can. Simply use the article in its entirety, leave all links intact and include the following info about the author. Thank you!
About the Author: Sue Urda is an Author, Speaker, Inspirer and Co-Founder of Powerful You! Women’s Network and Powerful You! Publishing. She was named twice on Inc. Magazines list of the 500 Fastest-Growing Private Companies and is the author of three books, Powerful Intentions Everyday Gratitude, Women Living Consciouslyand Empowering Transformations for Women. Sue’s vision is to contribute to a global consciousness of women helping women succeed in business and in life and to open them to truth of who they are. www.sueurda.com www.powerfulyou.com